Thursday, February 9, 2012

When in Rome...do as the Roman women do

You're all set for the big game. You have you're big man beer, and your big man bag of chips, a jar of dip way to large for one man to ever think of finishing, but, you will do it because, you're a man. You turn on your over sized t.v and there she is, long blonde hair, sparkling white teeth, glowing skin; oh you know who I'm talking about. Erin Andrews. You settle back into your lazy boy and thank God for College Game Day on ESPN.

"Basketball? That's the one with the helmets right?"

For years women have been breaking barriers to become established in a world where men have been tyrants and flexed their muscles to save countries. More recently, women have been working to break into another world where men also have always been in control, the world of sports. How could a woman possibly talk about sports in a group of men and still keep up? In the mid-1940's this was a serious question that was thrown around while men drank a whiskey (or seven) after work and talked about the newly founded "sports on t.v."

Barbie finds her brain

When the Romans started the Olympic games and were passing the time throwing heavy things and running in circles, the women thought this looked like fun and that they should develop their own sort of "Games of Hera" or the Heraean Games. Because women couldn't develop their own sports broadcasting station alone back in the 1940's, they had to learn how to play along with the men. In 1974, Phyllis George, a beauty pageant winner was invited by CBS to become a sportscaster. She ditched her crown and heels for a sport coat and a microphone. Sure she was still blonde, still had a smile that could knock your socks off, and probably didn't eat too much McDonalds, but she was also quick-witted and knew what she was talking about. A dream for most men and an envy for some women.

I bet I could kick that football farther than you...in high heels.

So how has women in sports evolved in time? What struggles have they overcome and what are they still dealing with today? I ask these questions because I am an aspiring sports journalist. I work for the football and hockey team at my school. During the good days, I feel like my little black pumps are owning the world and the sports industry is exactly where I belong, during the bad days, I feel like my little black pumps could give a good swift kick in the rump to any man who treats me like "just a girl." My competitive edge and 0-60 temper gives me the personality of a man (attractive, I know) but my emotions and bubbly personality remind everyone that I am still a girl, unfortunately, this can be a disadvantage. I would like to know why.

In closing I would like every girl to watch this video and find a way around these "sayings"





1 comment:

  1. I really like how you incorporate your personality and passion for sports in your post. I got a good feel for what you will continue to right about and am very excited to read more.

    ReplyDelete